Volunteer Opportunities at Local Organizations | News, Sports, Jobs
Weber Human Services is looking for people who can help nonprofits in Northern Utah. For more information on volunteer opportunities or to post an opportunity for your organization, call 801-625-3777 or 801-778-6897.
If you are interested in volunteering and don’t see what interests you, please give us a call as we have many other opportunities available and we will help you find what interests you and best uses your skills. If your organization needs volunteers, don’t hesitate to give us a call.
- Weber County Senior Centers need help serving lunch. Hours and days vary by location — North View, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday; Ogden Valley, three to five hours Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Lake View, three to five hours Thursday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Morgan, two to five hours Monday through Thursday.
- Do you enjoy reading to others? Volunteers needed to go to nursing homes and read to residences. The reading group will go one day a week for about an hour.
- The Senior Companion Program is looking for people 55 and older who live on a moderate to low income to serve as companions and friends to the homebound in the community. Mileage, training and a small monthly allowance are available.
- Catholic Community Services offers volunteer opportunities in the pantry: setting up, distributing groceries to customers, stocking shelves, cleaning, and helping with other daily projects, Tuesday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. h; and at the warehouse: sorting of donations, bagging of products and other foodstuffs, Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Community service for all ages at the local food distribution center. Ogden Connection Center located at 789 2nd St., Ogden, will be hosting free grocery events and need help with food packaging and distribution. Call 801-675-8547 or email [email protected]
- The Washington Terrace Senior Center needs someone to sit at the front desk to check people in for lunch and collect money on Mondays from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. They also need a teacher of ceramic experimented on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. at noon.
- United Way of Northern Utah is looking for volunteers who love children to help with the following opportunities: Welcome Baby Home Visitor volunteers to conduct monthly visits to educate parents on their baby’s developmental milestones; AEIOU tutors and mentors to work with students in schools one-on-one; and Learn With Playgroup volunteers to help or lead parent and child activities in their neighborhood. Fluency in Spanish is a plus but not a requirement. We ask for a commitment of two hours per month for at least six months for Welcome Baby, one hour per week for 30 weeks during the school year for AEIOU, and two hours per week for six months for Learn with Playgroup. Visit https://uwnu.org/get-involved, call Nicole Hopkinson at 801-399-5584 or email [email protected] to learn more.
- The Adoptive Grandparents Program and RSVP Grandparents Programs in Weber, Davis, Morgan, and Box Elder Counties are looking for individuals ages 55 or older to volunteer as reading tutors for children in the primary who have fallen behind their class. Volunteers are placed in a school near their home and can serve between two and 20 hours a week. Monthly allowances and mileage reimbursements are available for those who qualify.
- YCC is looking for volunteers to do gardening work around its establishment. Hours may vary. Contact Sandy at 801-689-1730.
- Union Station Museums is looking for volunteers over the age of 16 to serve Saturdays from 12-4 p.m. at the John M. Browning Firearms Museum, Utah State Railroad Museum and at the Browning-Kimball Classic Car Museum.
- Habitat for Humanity Restore is looking for volunteers to help with cleanup, sorting, and pricing. Hours available are Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Circles program through OWCAP is looking for community members to volunteer as allies and help community members break the cycle of poverty. Allies are members of the community who wish to have a supportive and friendly relationship with a person or family enrolled in the Circles program. Volunteers will be required to attend a weekly evening meeting and be paired with participants to provide support. Volunteers are using Zoom right now.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters is looking for volunteers. For more details, visit their site at bbbsu.org, click on Be a Big, then in the drop-down menu, click on Get Started. You will need to read and complete each step.
- A bereavement center needs volunteers. We are a non-profit organization that works with children, teens and their families who are experiencing loss through death, divorce or separation. We train all new volunteers. Need volunteers to work in the office, give lessons to the children and do the cleaning. Please contact us for more information at 801-476-1127 or http://.familysummit.org.
- The dinosaur park needs guides to talk about the rocks, volunteers to help in the lab, and to help with upcoming events.
- Do you feel lonely and are 55 or older? Would you like someone to call you every week to visit you? If you want someone to call you, contact us.
- Roads to Independence is looking for a volunteer Receptionist/Office Assistant. Need to complete 20-30 hours per week. Duties include answering the phone, filing and assisting the office manager.
- The Ogden Nature Center, a 152-acre nonprofit nature preserve, is always looking for volunteers to help with various projects and events. Our current needs include grounds maintenance such as leaf raking, snow removal and trail trimming. Please contact [email protected] or visit www.ogdennaturecenter.org for more information.
- The Hill Air Force Base Retiree Activities Office (RAO) is looking for retired military personnel or spouses of retired military personnel to volunteer in their office. Must be able to get on or off base and work with veterans who call in or come into the office. Hours needed: Monday to Friday, usually three-hour shifts, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Contact John Maginnis at 801-721-1625.
- The Retired Seniors Volunteer Program (RSVP) is looking for people 55 years of age or older to volunteer at local non-profit organizations such as food banks, shelters, housing complexes, centers for seniors, wildlife centers, historical museums, schools and more. Mileage reimbursement authorized.
- The Davis County area needs Meals on Wheels volunteers – drivers and runners. Monday to Friday, times may vary depending on the route; trips take about two hours, from 10 a.m. to noon. Contact Jennifer Chaffe at 801-525-5052 or email [email protected]
- The Red Cross is looking for volunteers throughout Utah. Here are two necessary positions. Blood Donor Ambassador (in person): Greet blood donors at blood drives using excellent customer service skills and ensure their check-in process is smooth. Or become a member of the recovery team (virtual position – yes, do it from home and still help people during disasters): you can apply for these positions or explore others at www.redcross.org/ volunteer, or email [email protected] org with your questions.
- Weber County Archery Park is looking for volunteers to help with check-in, signing up for memberships, providing rental equipment, and assistance when needed. Call for information on days and times. No experience necessary.
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) give a child a voice and change their story. Must be over 21 and able to pass a background check. For more information on how to volunteer, visit utahcasa.org.
- The Weber County Sports Shooting Complex is seeking volunteers for the following positions: Range Safety Office and Range Reception/Cashier. Volunteers do not need to be certified but must have basic knowledge of firearms, gun safety and must complete a four hour course. Individuals must pass a background check and volunteer at least eight hours per month. Training to be provided.
SENIORS CENTER VOLUNTEERS
Volunteers are always welcome to help out at the senior center. There are a variety of volunteer opportunities such as classroom instructors, front desk help, support help, and humanitarian work. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the senior center that interests you.