Product and Development Manager – Pedestrian TV
Group of pedestrians (Winner – Publisher of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards) is Australia’s leading youth-focused publisher. We reach a unique audience of over 4.16 million Australians per month. We host PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, Kotaku Australia and Openair Cinemas.
We bring young Australians the stories they want in all of their interests – from culture to technology, from business to games, from fashion to entertainment, from politics to lifestyle. And we create innovative solutions for customers that they won’t have anywhere else. Pedestrian Group is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.
We are currently looking for a Product and Development Manager to join our tight-knit and talented team in Sydney!
Development and maintenance of the main site:
- Guide the development and maintenance of the sites of our main editorial news brands;
- Strategize, restructure and maintain more than 7 sites on the WordPress infrastructure, including changing the theme of content automatically ingested by licensors
- Ensure site performance (including e-commerce) in accordance with consumer UX standards and market search engines
- Ensure site security and integrity through architecture and platform upgrades
- UX improvements and maintenance of ancillary brands and e-commerce platforms such as Pedestrian Jobs and Open Air Cinemas
Product manager :
- Build and guide the development of ad hoc business and creative projects that meet short-term business and editorial requirements.
For example, multimedia content microsites, new features and widgets in WordPress products
- Suggest new features and capabilities on all assets to better market our sites
- Lead product strategy and proactively identify opportunities to put data in the company’s hands so they can make better business decisions
- Ensure team effectiveness by working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders including technical support, WordPress developer, creative project managers and external vendors
- Train and develop internal development teams to deliver the best in class work
- Seek profitable savings, including tools used, processes and partners
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proven WordPress engineering skills and ability to guide the technical direction of our WordPress CMS
- Autonomous initiative spirit with a desire to learn with excellent analytical skills
- Strategic thinking and Agile project management skills to bring new products to life
- Ability to respond to requests from various stakeholders, prioritize projects and communicate progress effectively
- Previous experience managing multiple projects with tight deadlines and budgets
- People management and ability to train and develop the internal team
- Expertise in front-end and back-end web development practices
- Product management – creating new functionality, while keeping technology debt manageable
- Experience with Google Ads and Data Stack (GAM, GA360, Optimize360, BigQuery, DataStudio)
- Experience managing internal teams and / or working with well-known WordPress development agencies
- Work on new features, while keeping tech debt manageable
- Knowledge and experience in the online publishing industry
- DevOps ability and strong interest in product development
- Understanding of modern themes and plugin development
- Experience with Atlassian Bitbucket and GitHub deployment programs
- Experience with WordPress VIP
As an employee of the Pedestrian Group, you will enjoy perks such as corporate events, wellness programs, career development courses and a flexible work-life balance. But more importantly, you’ll be working alongside inspiring colleagues who will encourage you to give your best.
- Well-being – Our company’s Culture Club holds monthly yoga, meditation and tai chi sessions both virtually and IRL, and provides mental health support to all staff, so we are all Namaste Positive.
- Health and Fitness – Our Good Sports corporate initiative gives staff the opportunity to register for a seasonal sport of their choice. Whether it’s Netball, Basketball, Dodgeball or even ax throwing, it’s up to you!
- Charity and fundraising – Pay It Forward is Pedestrian Group’s charity and community program, where we use our unique set of skills to help raise funds and raise awareness of issues affecting Australia’s youth.
- Work-life balance – We offer our employees flexible working arrangements and generous time off options for major life events and travel.
- Career development – We offer our employees opportunities for personal and professional growth. Whether through our monthly PEDTALKS guest speaker series, online learning platforms or in-person workshops.
- Social events and team bonds – The Pedestrian Group offers a variety of team bonding opportunities, team lunches, Friday-to-local arvo knockoffs, team activities, company-wide summits or just a regular barbecue on the balcony with a DJ and a cheeky marg station (socially distanced of course)
We work hard and party harder!
Working at Pedestrian Group gives you the chance to collaborate with a talented team in a dynamic work environment. You will have the opportunity to develop your skills and career in one of Australia’s fastest growing digital media companies.
We believe in fearlessness and unfiltered creativity in everything we do!