Field Base Coordinator – Central African Republic
Contract duration: to confirm
Start date: AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE
The MENTOR initiative is the world’s leading non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against malaria and other vector-borne diseases in emergencies, operating in countries in West, Central and East Africa, the Middle East and South America. The organization directly provides large-scale disease control interventions to the most vulnerable communities caught in emergency situations and, in parallel, also works to strengthen the technical and operational capacities of local and international partners on the ground, to integrate disease control systems in the medium and long term. in their operations and country strategy.
General objective of the work
The Base Coordinator oversees program implementation and is directly responsible for field base management for all MENTOR operations. The Base Coordinator reports to the Country Director (CD) and works closely with the Technical Coordinators. He/she is the direct supervisor of all local staff (some of whom report functionally to the relevant program coordinators).
The main responsibilities of this position are:
- In close collaboration with the Country Director and the Logistics Coordinator, the Base Coordinator is responsible for the overall management of security in a very unstable area.
- Ensure effective networking and collection of in-depth and regular information on the situation in the areas under his responsibility.
- Ensure that security related logistical support for operations is functional. Any deficiencies should be reported immediately by the Base Coordinator to the Logistics Coordinator and the Country Director.
- Brief the Country Director regularly on the security situation in the area of responsibility and contribute to MENTOR Initiative security guidelines as requested by the Country Director or Logistics Coordinator.
- As directed by the Country Director, oversee and manage any security incident in areas under his/her responsibility – including staff evacuation or hibernation.
- Ensure strict compliance with organizational and related safety guidelines (use of vehicles, curfew, appropriate behavior, etc.) by all MENTOR team members working from the base, and anyone visiting or staying at the base. Any breach of these rules must be reported immediately to the Country Director.
- Support the timely update of security guidelines and annexes as required
- Ensure that all security incidents and breaches of security guidelines and annexes are properly investigated and reports are provided for submission to donors as required.
With the support of the Logistics Coordinator, the Finance Coordinator and the Country Director, the Base Coordinator ensures that the MENTOR base operates on the basis of existing MENTOR procedures.
Support the Finance Coordinator and Country Director to properly implement MENTOR finance field systems to ensure accurate and timely financial reports are sent to the team as required, as well as oversee adequate cash flow and regular monitoring of budget expenditures and planning.
Ensure standard MENTOR administrative procedures and forms are followed and used for routine administrative matters. This includes, as required, the drafting of MoUs (approved by HQ and signed by the Country Director) with the relevant local authorities as well as with the partner organization.
In close collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator and the Country Director, ensure the proper implementation of logistics procedures for warehousing and asset management, fleet and fuel management, communication systems and maintenance, local procurement and overall program logistics support for program activities.
With the help of the Finance Coordinator and the Country Director, ensure that the human resource management systems for the MENTOR mission are respected through transparent recruitment procedures, compliance with internal rules and regulations, performance evaluations , claims systems, salary grid, local payroll, etc.
With the support of the Country Director, overall responsible for the compliance and adherence by expatriates and local team members present in the base to the MENTOR code of conduct, including protection policies / PSEAH (protection sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment).
MENTOR’s direct line manager has employed national operational support staff and ensures that work schedules and action plans are developed and adhered to.
Ensure that the code of conduct and safeguard/PSEAH guidelines are adhered to by all staff at all times and that regular training takes place to ensure that all expatriates and local staff fully understand the standard of behavior expected of them.
With technical support from the program team, the Base Coordinator will help support the field coordination team to oversee the successful implementation of program activities.
Organize regular general team meetings, technical meetings as well as operational support meetings
Be an open, communicative and accessible supervisor to all staff under your responsibility
Contribute to MENTOR internal status reports
Provide regular written updates on the security situation to the Country Director and Logistics Coordinator.
Provide regular updates on base and program finance to Finance Coordinator
Actively participate in regular management team meetings.
o Assist Country Director with field information for external reporting and/or donor proposals.
o Participate in external meetings related to the general or security context
o Provide support to the field coordination team during technical meetings with health actors in the target area.
o Ensure transparent and efficient exchange of data, background reports, etc. with relevant stakeholders as required by the coordination team
o Provide support during agreed field visits with media and/or donors, as requested by the Country Director
- With the support of the Country Director, the Financial Coordinator and the Logistics Coordinator, oversees the implementation and compliance with all administrative, logistical and security aspects related to direct collaboration with partner organizations who may cohabit for a certain period of time to the base MENTOR.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Country Director.
– At least 2 years of experience as a basic field coordinator or similar position
– Familiar with NGO working environments and standard procedures
– Solid prior experience of working in complex security contexts
– Proven experience in project management / HR and Logistics
– Know the donor’s procedures
-Work experience with SAGA is an asset
– Excellent communication skills
– Fluency in French/English
How to register
The Mentor Initiative takes a zero-tolerance approach to sexual exploitation, abuse, mistreatment or harassment and other types of unethical behavior, including fraud. The mentoring initiative will contact the candidates’ previous employers to determine if they have a history of breaching international standards and codes of conduct relating to these issues..
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and contact details for three references (including your last employer) to:[email protected]